Monday, January 20, 2014

A Day At The Coast

When the tide rushes out I feel the pull under my feet as it removes the sand. I feel like I'm going with it and it makes me dizzy. It's scary but thrilling and icy cold.
We visited the Oregon Coast. It was lovely and refreshing. This portion of the Pacific Ocean has a dangerous under-tow. One must be very careful not to go out too far. There is a built in safety as the water is so very cold, that going up to the ankles is sufficient.
It's simply breath-taking.
Our daughter Jessica enjoying the beach.
Our son Garrett viewing the sea.
Of the 300 mile coastline only 3 miles is privately owned. The other 297 miles is open to the public to walk along, picnic, swim or ride horses. No cars are allowed. I never see garbage on the beach. There seems to be a lot of respect for God's creation.
What a glorious time.
Enjoying the sand.
No trip to the coast would be complete without a stop at Mo's Annex seafood restaurant.
There are many Mo's up and down the beach. They have the best clam chowder.
This is Aunt Belinda's Candy store which has been here as long as I can remember.
I remember this cute boat in the center of the store, filled with salt water taffy. I was just a small little girl when I used to come in here and choose taffy from the boat.
There are so many flavors to choose from. I find it difficult so I just bought a sampling. Watermelon turns out to be a new fave of mine.
Jessica begged to go into the wax museum, so I took her. She loved it and got her picture taken with "Johnny Dep."
The sea lions gave a us a show with their loud barks and roars.
Newport
There are many aesthetically appealing bridges up and down the Oregon Coast. The architect who built these gorgeous bridges, Conde Balcom McCullough, fought to get his way. He chose concrete, when his opponents demanded wood. Because he won they are still standing today. The Gothic style, Romanesque arches and cathedral effect of so many of his bridges is unbelievable. He built over 600 bridges. Each little spindle along the rail of this one in Newport is in the arch form. Bob Howen took this photo of the Newport Bridge.

We didn't visit this bridge this time, but I simply must show it. It is the Cape Creek bridge. I got the picture off Google images. Even as a child I recognized the beauty in the bridges. Like most beach towns, tourism is big stuff. There were lots of cute shops, antiques and candy stores.
Jessica riding the bike rack.
Now Garrett's turn.
There is nothing like the serenity of the Oregon Coast. I hope you will have an opportunity to come here sometime.
 "Thus says the Lord, Who gives the sun for a light by day and the fixed order of the moon and of the stars for a light by night, Who stirs up the sea’s roaring billows or stills the waves when they roar—the Lord of hosts is His name!" Jeremiah 31:35

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...