Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Variety is the Spice of Life: My Coffee Cup Collection

Update June 2015--When I resigned from my teaching job, I gave every person who had lovingly encouraged me, a coffee cup with a planted flower inside. I have about four more that I would like to deliver to the school, to sweet, dear ladies who prayed for me and cared about me. Those cups are treasures that I found at various thrift stores. Each day I chose a different cup from my collection to sip coffee from as I drove to work. All of the cups in these photos have been given away to my loving friends. Original post, 2011-- Today I'd like to share my coffee cup collection.  Ya know, everything does not have to be a matched set. Think outside the box.  Different colors and shapes are fun.  I have little rules for my collection. Here they are: I must have variety, it must have the design all the way around. They must be light weight and delicate. And, I adore pedestals.  I'd like to show you what I drink out of every day.  Either that or I'm crazy.  Sometimes I use a different cup for morning and afternoon. Am I nuts? This one is fun for playing cards with my kids. I have four of them.
This owl is one of my favorites, because I like the lightness of the cup; the way it feels in my hand. I drink out of him in the afternoon. He was made in Japan, as most of mine are. Of course I love all my florals. Most of my cups are from the 1970's also.
I found these at St. Vincent de Paul for .49 cents. I use the red check one for camping and for picnics in the backyard.
The one with pears is the first one I began collecting. I got the idea from my sister Sharon. Sharon always had these cute coffee cups. Many of them were pedestal cups. She told me she paid less than a dollar for them at thrift shops.
I got so intrigued by the idea that I could have variety for so cheap, and be so thrilled with my purchases. When looking for a cup I like to find a certain shape, and the pattern must go all the way around. It has to feel light and nice in my hand.
These are bone china. They are very light weight. I love the cool patterns from the 1970's.
Sometimes the crazier; the better. I couldn't resist these colorful ones. Today I'd like to share my collection of coffee cups. I love these great shapes and colors. Everyone of my cups was purchased for less than a dollar, and each one is special to me. I really do use them and enjoy them. Thank you for letting me share my collection with you today.
                                          
Psalm 23:5
 "My cup runneth over. Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life." 

3 comments:

Sue said...

I am enjoying your new blog, Kathi.
Great collection of cups.
Sue

Kathi's News & The Fishwrap said...

When I resigned from my teaching job, I gave every person who had lovingly encouraged me, a coffee cup with a planted flower inside. I have about four more that I would like to deliver to the school, of sweet, dear ladies who prayed for me and cared about me. Those cups are treasures that I found at various thrift stores. Each day I chose a different cup from my collection to sip coffee from as I drove to work. Kathi

Kathi's News & The Fishwrap said...

The cups in this post have all been given away to my dear friends.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...