Friday, September 5, 2008

Our Cider Press

Today I'd like to share with you our cider press. My husband had it shipped from an Amish company. He and my dad put it together. When we have a lot of "windfalls," fresh apples which fall to the ground while picking other apples, we make cider. These apples are good ones, but will be too bruised for selling. The apples are placed in the black hopper and then ground up inside when the round crank is turned. Round wooden boards are placed on top of the mashed apples inside the bucket, and then pressed when the upper crank is turned. I'm sorry I don't have a photo of the broomstick, which is placed on the upper crank and is turned to press the juice out. Now that I am getting better at blogging, I will take better photos in the future of things like the broom stick and the juice coming out. We put the cider in sterile milk jugs and into the freezer.
We've had customers come out to pick apples for eating and then make and buy our cider.
The frozen cider can be given at Christmas time to neighbors. It is very tasty.

I hope you've enjoyed seeing my cider press."A word aptly spoken is like apples of gold in settings of silver." Proverbs 25:11
Have a lovely Friday ~ Blessings ~ Kathi

1 comment:

Nicole Edwards said...

Woah! That is a lot of Cider!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...