Friday, September 12, 2008

Antique Bell

My husband Stacey found this antique bell at the Lafayette School House: Oregon's largest (so they say) antique display. We assumed it had been a church or school bell.We found the perfect place to put it. My husband had the post hole dug and in the ground with cement in 20 minutes. He amazes me.I was cutting up pears to can, and looked up from my work and saw that he was nearly finished putting it up.
It is a darling bell. I love the way it sounds when it rings. To me it sounds like it may have been on a fire engine. It does not seem large enough to have been on top of a church or school. My husband does things the way my dad would do them. I love the way the pull rope comes down and is attached to this wood hook. The rope is wound around this wood handle made from a tree limb. It is fun to hear the bell ringing. It's a great way to call everyone in for lunch, rather than honking the truck horn like I usually do. My dad came over for a visit and we think he may have solved the mystery for us. He thinks it came off an old locomotive. Trains had both bells and whistles in the old days.
We had such a wonderful time talking with Dad and really enjoyed having him out here with us. Love ya Dad. Thanks for helping us figure out where this bell may have come from. 

"A day of the Lord is coming..." Zech. 14:1 "On that day His feet will stand on the Mount of Olives..." Zech. 14:4 "On that day HOLY IS THE LORD will be inscribed on the bells of the horses." Zech. 14:20

1 comment:

Nicole Edwards said...

Stacey is extremely efficient when it comes to getting something done. Bravo :) That is a lot of work for that short of time.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...